Monday, April 03, 2006

Cheng Beng Festival

I was back home in Taiping over the weekend to observe an early ritual of the annual Cheng Beng festival which falls on 5 April this year. It is usually a family gathering of sorts to pay respects to our departed loved ones.
First stop was for my grandfather at the Hokkien cemetery. We forgot to light a cigar for him this year. Memories of grandfather lingers still, when we were small, without fail, he would bring us lanterns when the festival is due. Later we drove up another part of a steep hill to visit my grandmother's grave. Her location commands a nice view of the hills and overlooks a small village, the landscape of which is changing with the development of houses.
Lastly a visit to the Buddhist temple along Creagh Road to offer prayers for my parents. Sorely missed is definitely Mum's cooking, of course and my father's chatty & witty presence.

In between the busy schedule, took some macro shots with the D7os and the 50mm lens with a +4 close-up filter. Some shots were also taken with the long end of the 18-70mm kit lens.


Orchid - in the garden of the Taiping house

White flower bud

Bougainvilla

Wild yellow flower near my grandfather's grave

Another wild flower growing out from my grandmother's tombstone


2 comments:

Chan Kok Kuen said...

Nice photos... must been touched up before being posted in the blog. Anyway, I found a way to enhance my photos using PhotoImpact. Using the level settings, I managed to make the colours of the photos more vibrant but the file size of the photo was doubled up!

I having fun enhancing the photos.

Lye Hock said...

Thanks! Mostly some cropping & sharpening done. Nikon pics normally need some post-processing to look better.