Friday, September 16, 2005

Taiping casual market

Often I've wondered on the name of this market which has been around forever. Essentially a food court with all the good stuff Taiping has to offer. One of my all time must-eat-one is the teow chew fried koay teow with fishballs. If you tapau, the noodles will be wrapped in a type of leaf (semboyan) & this gives it a distinctive flavour. Cost RM2.40 a plate now. Used to be 50 sen back in my primary schooldays. Another favourite is the mee rebus (chinese variety) which has very crispy prawn crackers added.



Fried teowchew koay teow



Mee rebus

6 comments:

suet fun said...

As opposed to the "not so casual" ? I have often wondered about its origin too. Certainly, its casual style of eating, shorts, ts, slippers but its serious eating. I especially enjoy the nyonya cakes - cheap and good, and the iced coffee at Annie's stall. Annie is very good natured, and can make you a humdinger of a honey lime juice which is like manna on a sultry day.

Chan Kok Kuen said...

Yam! Yam! Can tapou back to KL or not.. I miss the fried kueh tieu there, maybe I should take a drive up there in my Accord and take a taste of the good food at Taiping... but where can spend the night there? Can I stay at your house in Taiping???

Lye Hock said...

Staying at my house? No problem! Let me check the website where you can book online...haha! But food is really cheaper there. Make it a pitstop on the way to Penang. Better still, stay the night & experience Maxwell Hill & confirm whether the ghost stories are true!

Chan Kok Kuen said...

You are asking me to try Fear Factor Taiping syle??? Well that will be a ghostly challenge!!!

raymond said...

Lye Hock, where is my char kueh teow? You are a sadist, really ....

Lye Hock said...

Take a trip home & get it while it's hot!